2020 NUTCRACKER INFORMATION
Thank you for your interest in participating in DcD’s 2020 production of The Children’s Nutcracker! This year’s performances will be filmed live in a theater (with limited or no audience) on November 28th and 29th with mandatory studio dress rehearsals on Saturday, November 21st (Cast A) and Sunday, November 22nd (Cast B). The Nutcracker is always a very special holiday event, and this year will be no exception! We believe that performance is an intregal part of dance training and it is also a lot of fun for our dancers! Please read through the information below to see if your dancer(s) want to be a part of this year’s magical, fun-filled event.
Auditions: There will be no audition for this year’s performance due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic.
Registration: Registration will open on August 10th at 9:00 AM.
- Please register your dancer for the correct level! Company, Apprentice, Jr. Company, Intermediate or Elementary
- We will not include Pre-Ballet students in this year’s performance due to the constraints and challenges posed by the pandemic and the possibility of online rehearsals.
- Once the cast list has been released, there will be no refunds!
- All rehearsals will be in person and in the studio, unless we are directed otherwise by state officials. We will only stream rehearsal in the event of such a closure.
- Participants at all levels must be prepared to switch to online rehearsals, refunds will not be issued for switching to an online format.
- The format of the performance is in person, on stage. All participants must attend the correct dress rehearsal and perform on stage to be filmed. We will not be splicing at home performances into the final video.
- DcD will require a waiver for all dancers returning to in class lessons this fall. Link to waiver.
Non-Company Participation (Ages 5 and up): The Children’s Nutcracker is a fun performance opportunity for all ages at DcD. The cost to participate at this level is $200 and that includes rehearsal time, costume rental, theater rental, filming costs, a cast t-shirt and 1 digital access code to view the show. Additional digital access codes will be available for purchase for friends and family. Each code will allow a download of the performance and viewing from a single IP address. All dancers who audition will be cast in a role.
Non-Company Participants will be cast in either the Saturday or Sunday Show. There will be 20 spaces each for Elementary and Intermediate level dancers. The casts will be split equally between the Saturday and Sunday shows in order to keep the numbers on stage manageable with pandemic guidelines. These numbers also make in person rehearsals possible and online rehearsals manageable if we are forced to go that route.
Company, Apprentice and Jr. Company (Level 1 and up): Our student company programs were created for those dancers (Level 1 and up) who want to make a stronger commitment to our overall program and performances. There are larger commitments to rehearsals (Dancers cannot miss more than 2 rehearsals) and class attendance (Dancers are required to attend at least 2-3 technique classes per week).
Dancers and parents are required to co-sign a Company Contract agreeing to the additional commitments. The total cost to participate at this level is $400. If you are interested in joining one of our student companies, parents and students please read through the following general information first, followed by the Company Contract upon signing up to make sure you are fully aware of the commitments involved. The age breakdown is as follows:
Level 1 and up at time of audition are cast as Jr. Company Dancers, there will be 20 spaces
Ages 11-12 at time of audition are cast as Apprentice Company Dancers, there will be 20 spaces
Ages 13 and up are cast as Company Dancers, there will be 20 spaces
To sign-up: To sign up for the Children’s Nutcracker follow the appropriate link below.
Casting: All casting decisions are final! It is unacceptable to question the Artistic Director or any employee of DcD concerning roles dancers are given, and we will not engage in any correspondence regarding casting. Dancers need to learn to accept their roles graciously as it takes an entire cast of dancers to put on a successful production.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals are every Saturday at the DcD Studios or online if necessary. Rehearsals will be in 30 or 60 minute blocks, and a detailed schedule will be set once we know who is participating. Level 1+ will likely have more than one block of time, but Company dancers will not be at the studio all day on Saturdays as they have been in year’s past.
- Students will not be allowed in the building between blocks. We will do our best to organize the schedule making this as efficient as possible for our dancers and their families. The rehearsal time schedule will be released before the first scheduled rehearsal.
- Warm-ups: Due to capacity restraints, there will be no in-person Company warm-up at the studio this year, however, we can stream an online warm-up on Saturday morning before rehearsals start. Dancers will be required to warm up prior to their scheduled blocks at home before coming to the studio to prevent injury.
- All dancers will be required to wear masks, have their temperature checked at the door and follow social distancing guidelines while in the building.
Rehearsals will follow the below start schedule:
- All Student Company members (Level 1+): Starting August 22nd
- Intermediate Level (7+): Starting October 17th
- Elementary Level (5+): Starting October 31st